10 Signs to Look for To Identify Toxic Employees
I often have business owners contact me and say that they have invested in training for their team, but after spending thousands of dollars, some staff put what they have learnt into practice, but others show little or no improvement? ‘What am I missing they ask? Toxic Employees
An example can be ‘David is one of my top sales people but he won’t work as part of a team!
Firstly, I ask if they have regular team meetings, if the staff acknowledge the company’s expectations and have they have signed off on them? Secondly, if they are still having trouble with one or two individuals, then they need to look closely at these employee’s attitudes.
I’ve listed below some attitudes to look out for which can be financially destructive for a business and has a colossal impact on team morale.
10 Key Attitudes to look out for in Toxic Employees: –
1. They like to take credit for all the wins and company victories but are quick to lay blame onto others when targets are not met.
2. They are very ‘Me’ focused. You will often hear them say ‘I’m not here to make friends’ and they don’t understand that it takes the whole team (and all departments) to achieve a result. Will hear them say ‘I’ instead of ‘We’.
3. Very quick to give their advice and opinions on how things can be fixed around the place but give them feedback and see their face turn red with anger as they fold their arms and roll their eyes.
4. They take more from the team and the company than they give.
5. They want customers and the team to see them as the star performer and believe that the company could not survive without them.
6. They are very critical of management and team members.
7. They cannot give praise easily.
8. Their ego needs to be constantly stroked.
9. Will backstab others and will not accept responsibility when they make a mistake.
10. In an organisation, you will not notice the impact of their toxic and negative behaviour until they leave and all of a sudden there is calmness and productivity increases.
Take some time to sit back and think about what has got your attention with some of the issues in your organisation and you may find you have lurking in the shadows, a toxic employee.
If you have chatter and want to know how to get them to lift or leave, contact me and make a time for a 30-minute free consultation.